Founder’s Brewing's Breakfast Stout Clone
Try making this homebrew-sized batch of Founders Brewing Company's tasty stout - for breakfast even!
(5 gallons/ 19 L, extract with grains) OG = 1.078 FG = 1.020 IBUs = 60 SRM = 59 ABV = 7.5 %
- 6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
- 1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
- 22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
- 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
- 12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
- 9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
- 7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
- 2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
- 2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee
- 2.5 oz. (71 g) dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
- 14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min.) (1.1 oz./ 31 g of 13% alpha acid)
- 2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
- 2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
- 1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)
- 1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes
- White Labs WLP 001 (American Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
- 0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)
Step by Step: Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts (1.8 L) of hot water. Add the liquid and dried malt extracts and bring to a boil. Add the hops and Irish moss as per the schedule. Add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties at the end of the boil. Add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing. Add the Kona coffee and condition for one week, then bottle or keg. Carbonate and age for two weeks.
All-grain option: This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the malt extracts with 13.2 lbs. (6 kg) 2-row pale malt. Mix the crushed grains with 3.75 gallons (14 L) of 172 °F (78° C) water to stabilize at 155 ºF (68º C) for 60 minutes. Sparge slowly with 175 ºF (79º C) water. Collect approximately 6 gallons (23 L) of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. Reduce the 60 minute hop addition to 1 oz. (28 g) and the 30 minute addition to 0.4 oz. (11 g) to allow for the higher utilization factor of a full wort boil. Follow the remainder of the extract with grain recipe.